The Puritan religion has drifted away from its true belief and has gone a step too far. After hearing Pastor Edwards outrageous speech I am appalled to be considered of the Puritan religion. For the past few weeks, the religion has really pushed me away but after this one final sermon, I can say I will no longer be a Puritan.
Pastor Edwards stated that "The wrath of god burns against them, their damnation does not slumber; the pit is prepared, the fire is made ready, the furnace now hot, ready to receive them; the flames do now rage and glow." and "...thus easy is it for god to cast his enemies down to hell." God does not wait around to cast everyone to hell. The fire is not ready to receive us. Pastor Edwards has now made it seem as if God hates us all and will only condemn us to hell. The sermon was to negative and gave such a negative outlook on how god perceives us. Pastor Edwards repeatedly referred to us as "sinners" and "enemies" of God. Well sinner I may be because I can say I will no longer be of the Puritan religion due to this negative outlook on God.
God does not view us as "enemies" but as followers. That's why we follow him and that's what I intend to do but not under Pastor Edwards terms. He went too far and was actually the sinner who tried turning us on how God truly feels about us. The Puritan religion can do whatever now as I follow God in positive way and am no longer an "enemy."
Nice use of Edwards's direct words within his sermon. Your response to the sermon was pretty good. Some of it was a bit of repetition and lacked some fire that might really be boiling in some of the townspeople. You did make some good rebuttals against the arguments, though.
ReplyDelete8/10